Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Symbolism

Tomorrow is our 8th wedding anniversary.  Brian and I spent our 7th anniversary in hospice house.  Not what we would have ever planned, but he was alive, and we were together.  Now he's gone, and I am left to remember all the joy and beauty of our wedding day and our marriage without him.

I will not allow our anniversary to become a sad day.  I want it to be the joyful day that Brian and I celebrated each year.

Brian and I enjoyed exchanging traditional anniversary gifts each year.  It often involved some special creativity, and the shopping and planning was so fun for both of us.
The 8th anniversary is the bronze anniversary, and I felt like I couldn't enjoy a day of remembering and celebrating our marriage without buying him his bronze gift.  When I started shopping, it seemed crazy to buy a gift for him that he could never open.  So I thought I would buy a gift for our home that would have been meaningful to both of us.  There are lots of bronze statuettes of lovers available, but that seemed forced at best.  So I decided to buy a gift for me, and I found the perfect gift that has real symbolism to me and that would have been meaningful to him as well.

The tree of life has always been a meaningful icon for me.  Since Brian died, it has become even more meaningful.  So much so, that there will be a Tree of Life image on his gravestone.


These Tree of Life earrings are bronze, and I love them.  What makes them perfect though, are all the reasons why Brian would have loved them.  The bronze that they are made from is recycled from disarmed nuclear warheads, and the company that makes them donates 20% of profits to peacekeeping charities, including Brian's favorite, Doctors Without Borders.

Brian isn't here to buy these for me, but he would so appreciate all the meaning and symbolism that they embody.  When I wear them I will think of Brian, the love we shared, and the values and ideals that were so important to both of us.

I can't wait to wear them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment