Saturday, March 26, 2016

Rage

I went to see my grief counsellor today. I see her every week, but needed an extra appointment today. I'm feeling so alone, angry and hopeless. I just can't seem to turn it around lately.

On the ground level of her building there is a small cafe, and when I walked in there was a family sitting there eating. I would recognize that beautiful woman and her magnificent hair anywhere - it was Brian and my favorite nurse from when we were still in the hospital. I excused myself for interrupting their supper, saying that she probably didn't remember me and mentioning my name. She jumped up and hugged me. I knew she would remember us. She only worked on weekends, and we always requested her to be our nurse.

And it all came rushing through the cracks in the dam that I put up to hold back the pain. In a week when I have been struggling so hard to keep it together, it all became too much - all the kindness we were shown during that horrific time. There was so much support then.

I guess when the dam crumbles it is good to be at the therapist's office. The rush of pain didn't surprise me, but the anger did. I am so angry! At everyone except Brian. I am so angry at a world that thinks that I could possibly ok, that I am weak or self indulgent. I am emotional - I often give into tears, but I am not weak! I am a survivor. I have been through losses that many couldn't endure. Nobody besides Brian knows or ever knew some of the challenges I have survived. Maybe if they did people wouldn't treat me like a silly child. I am so angry. I am carrying so much rage and I can't let it go because there is no longer anyone who can help bear the load.

I am so utterly alone in my pain and my grief, and I think that this is how it will always feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment